Saturday, March 1, 2008

TW

Paper on NCLB
Tone
Stance
Style

Students in the public school system are constantly tested and evaluated by their test scores. In a classroom setting, tests are important and can provide essential information on a student’s progress. However, there has been a recent push from the No Child Left Behind act (NCLB) to use the scores obtained from a standardized test, as the single measure of a student’s performance. This has become the central purpose of NCLB; it requires students to take a test to determine whether they should go on to the next grade level, or whether a student qualifies for graduation. This is why the state of Arizona gives the Arizona’s Instrument to Measure Standards test (AIMS). There are several parents who probably do not have a problem with this program because their children have several chances to take the AIMS test and do not have any problems passing it. The majority of the students in Arizona pass the AIMS test (Arizona Department of Education, personal communication (ADE), February 21, 2008). Many parents have the assumption that this program is just a way to help failing schools and improve teacher quality. What you do not know is that your children may be affected by this program in ways that you have not seen.


This introduction is the "Some say this some say that intro." I tried to show both sides of the argument.


The tone in this paragraph is somewhat relaxed, I do not try to come on too strong and I try to use terms that the parents will understand. It is not written toward a professional audience so I had to write in a certain way so that they would listen to what I was saying. The tone remains pretty constant throughout this paragraph.

My style in this paragraph and throughout my paper was to be mostly informal. My audience is parents who have children in public schools. I tried to use ethos, pathos and logos to persuade my audience.

My stance in this paragraph is to show both sides of the argument. I didn’t want to be too forward and make people angry. I tried to settle into my argument slowly.

No comments: